N. Voke showcases student talent

http://vimeo.com/79683547

Filming & Editing by Emily Hillier
By Staff Writer Dempsey Bilotta

Last Friday, Nov. 15, N.Voke gave NNHS students an opportunity to express themselves freely. The event welcomed all grade levels to read, sing, and even act with their original work or favorite pieces.

Communication Arts teacher Brian Nierman supported and sponsored N. Voke. He brought the idea over from his days in Colorado and has sponsored the event at every teaching position he’s held. This was N. Voke’s third year at NNHS.

“The purpose [of N. Voke] is to give those students that are artistic the chance to be on stage in a comfortable atmosphere,” Nierman said.

Students who participated in N. Voke gave creative and confident performances ranging from poems to music and even dreams. Junior Erik Gleim shared two of his own dreams. He related one humorous dream about a time when he was trying to get home from Downtown Chicago after being kicked out of a party.

“I just came, and I was like I wish I brought my wallet because I have some poems in my wallet. But, I have dreams on my phone so I just read my dreams and hoped people would like it,” Gleim said.

N. Voke fostered a very relaxing and inviting atmosphere. Students also sang, rapped, and performed with their bands. Real life events were often the focus of the pieces shared.

The goal Nierman wanted for N. Voke was to give the students who may not be able to be a part of NNHS events or who might be intimidated to do so a chance to put themselves out there.

“There are students who want to be in the Holiday Pageants, show choir, all these great events that North does, but they just don’t want to do the commitment.  They don’t want to think they aren’t good enough. This is a chance for those kids to get recognized and have their own moment and be self-expressive,” said Nierman.

N. Voke will always be open for any and all students with whatever talent or expressive art they want to share. Students are encouraged by teachers and faculty to be themselves, and N. Voke was a perfect place to show that.

“It’s complete 100 percent self-expression” said Nierman.