Underclassmen play will put bullying in the spotlight

Our Teacher is an Alien cast hopes to both entertain and inform

By Staff Writer Dempsey Bilotta

This weekend on Thursday, Oct. 17 and Friday, Oct. 18 at 7:00 PM, and Saturday, Oct. 19 at 2:00 PM and 7:00 PM, the fall freshman/sophomore play, Our Teacher is an Alien, directed by Ryan Cap, NNHS class of 2010, and executively produced by communication arts department teacher, Katie Trowbridge will be performed. This play is a comedy, yet will bring awareness to anti-bullying month, which is during October.

In Our Teacher is an Alien, a group of kids in the same math class think their new teacher is alien. The students come together to try and figure out why their teacher is acting abnormal, but along the way they face several bullying scenarios with every stereotype from the popular kids to the geeks.

“Inside of it, it’s about a group of high school kids and bullying. There is making assumptions of people, bullying people in all kinds of way, like physically. There’s a kid that grabs an ear, pushing around to making fun of, calling names,” said Trowbridge. “So it’s this whole idea of bullying and how to handle bullies.”

Sophomore, Michael Hendrickson plays student, Rickey Peters.  He has hard and long hours alongside his fellow cast mates, but said he has made memories along the way.

“My favorite part of being in this play is that I get to meet so many oncoming freshmen and I get to see the future actors of North,” said Hendrickson.

The play gives freshman and sophomores a chance to shine on their own and gives them an opportunity to learn and experience the stage.

“This show really is getting younger kids up on stage and teaching them. A lot of rehearsal has been about teaching them the ins and outs of theater and the auditorium, like how to put a microphone on,” said Trowbridge.

The audience should expect a funny yet thoughtful message that should not be overlooked. Being that October is anti-bully month, the comedic scenes serve both to entertain and to teach.

“[People should expect] lots of great humorous moments and a fantastic anti-bullying message,” said Hendrickson.

My Teachers an Alien hopes to bring awareness to bullying in a unique way.

“I feel that it is very important and I really think that the way we tell it makes it more personal because it is being told by teenagers,” said Hendrickson.