Boys and Girls Cross Country teams are stars after dark

Girls XC takes first, boys second, at Nike Twilight meet

By Staff Writer John Conway

Video by John Conway, Camera work by Juan Jara, Produced by Emily Hillier

https://vimeo.com/76583632

NNHS competed against four local high schools last night, Oct. 9,  for the Nike-sponsored Twilight Race. Boys varsity  placed second in the invitational, and girls varsity scored first in the competition.

​NNHS, Naperville Central, Metea Valley, Neuqua Valley, and Wabonsie Valley were all in attendance Wednesday night. There were excellent performances from both NNHS male and female runners, including junior Kerry Gschwendtner, who placed second in the boys varsity race with a time of 15:16.

​“The girls ran amazing, and I thought the guys ran amazing as well,” Gschwendtner said. “We kept with the top teams, and I couldn’t be happier.”

​Boys varsity started the 3-mile race at 6:35 p.m, and the first runners crossed the finish line about 15 minutes later. NNHS took six of the top ten positions, and 11 of the top 25. NNHS recieved a team score of 32, beating three of their four competitors. The Huskie boys were bested only by Neuqua Valley, who scored 24 points.

​“The guys work so hard, and they’re talented,” boys Head Coach David Racey said. “So (next year) we certainly can win the event.”

​The NNHS varsity girls enjoyed another night of team domination, claiming two of the top three spots and six of the top ten. The Huskies scored 21 points as a team, claiming victory over Neuqua’s 59.

NNHS junior Ellen DeTurris won the race, and senior Katherine Shannon placed third. Deturris was neck and neck with Metea senior Kendall Cast as she approached the finish, but she managed to break away, winning the 3-mile event with a time of 17:31.

​“When I took the step forward, I wanted [my team] to come with me, which they did,” DeTurris said. “It showed in the results today; overall we did a really good job.”

​With exceptional performances at all levels, both teams now look forward to the DVC meet on Oct. 18, as well as the upcoming state tournament on Nov. 9.

​“I am very happy with the way we are running right now,” girls Head Coach Dan Iverson said. “We are confident, especially after what we did tonight.”