Volunteer opportunities galore

KidsMatter event will introduce teens to volunteer opportunities in the community

By Managing Editor Katie Jenkins

The eleventh annual KidsMatter Volunteer Fair will showcase 26 nonprofit organizations offering local community service opportunities, according to Marketing and Event Manager Bridget Hatch.

KidsMatter scheduled the event from 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. this Thursday, Oct. 3 at the Naperville Municipal Center. The fair welcomes families and all students attending middle school, high school or college free-of-charge, according to Hatch.

“This event will show students the opportunities they can have to fulfill the required service hours for National Honors Society or another organization they belong to,” said Hatch. “This may be the Exchange or Rotary, that kind of thing within the school district or school itself.”

Naperville boasts the majority of the participating nonprofits, but representatives from organizations based in Downers Grove, Westmont, and Glen Ellyn will also be present. Students may discuss the various opportunities with representatives from each organization to find the activities that best suit their goals and interests. The nonprofits include the American Cancer Society, DuPage Children’s Museum, Loaves and Fishes, Naperville Public Library, Feed My Starving Children, Little Friends, and the YMCA.

Perspective applicants should note that the NNHS National Honors Society requires a minimum of 20 service hours. According the National Honors Society’s website, the average accepted applicant donated more than 20 hours back to the community. In fact, the average member documented 40 or more hours of service on their application.

In 1998, Edwards Hospital created KidsMatter to reduce a spike in risky teenaged behaviors. The program rewards teenagers making healthy choices and offers additional opportunities to foster those positive behaviors.

“[These events] are designed to keep kids from participating in otherwise risky behaviors,” said Hatch. “It also helps with building resiliency, a sense of community, and a sense of connection to your community.”

Students can expect more to come. At the moment, KidsMatter is also sponsoring a video contest. The top three places all receive money, and the grand prizewinner will earn $200 for him or herself and $500 for his or her school district. The organization will accept entries until Oct. 15.

According to Hatch, KidsMatter is also organizing a job fair for teenagers this March. Further details for these events can be found on http://www.kidsmatter2us.org.