Beauty pageant brings out ugliness

By Staff Writer Shreya Narayan

The Miss America Organization introduced a new color to the predominately white canvas of pageant queens. Adding to the few black and Hispanic winners, 24-year-old Nina Davuluri became the first Indian-American to be crowned Miss America. For most Americans, the win did not seem unusual in the slightest. In a country that is a “melting pot” of different cultures and ethnicities, it should not be a problem for a woman of a different racial background to represent America.

Unfortunately, there are some who disagree that America’s national identity is colored beyond red, white, and blue. Immediately after the win, social media exploded with ignorant comments. Twitter was especially teeming with hatred. Tweets hashtagged #MissAmerica spanned from racist to plain lies.

“And the Arab wins Miss America. Classic.” (@Granvil_Colt)

“Miss New York is an Indian.. With all respect, this is America” (@savannah_dale97)

“Miss America? You mean Miss 7-11.” (@JPLman95)

“Egypt dancing? This is America. #MissAmerica” (@ColtonSEvans)

“Well they just picked a Muslim for Miss America. That must’ve made Obama happy. Maybe he had a vote.” (@EGBuckeye)

“Nice slap in the face to the people of 9/11, how pathetic.” (@wnfraser)

The list goes on and on. Some even referred to her as a “terrorist”.

For the Twitter users referring to her as an “Arab,” “Muslim,” or  “terrorist,” please go back to 5th grade and learn your geography. Assuming the majority of these users finished at least 8th grade by now, they should really know the difference between India and the Middle East at this point. It is like calling a French man Hispanic. Arabs and Indians are two different types of people, with two different cultures. Really, Google is just a click away. Stop being ignorant and get the facts right before you post, please.

Set aside the fact that I am an American-born Indian girl writing this. The problem that I see is not that she is Indian-American; the problem is that there are people in our country who fail to recognize that we are living in the 21st century. People are constantly saying how progressive our country is. They left a big, gaping hole in that definition regarding the topic of diversity. In 1983, African-American Vanessa Williams won the title of Miss America, and controversy erupted over her physique. Thirty years later, we are still stuck in the same situation. This should not even be an issue: it does not matter if she is white, black, Indian, or Arab, she is still beautiful and fulfilled the requirements to win the title. Now, someone please make a case for social progress.

Additionally, people continued to question if she was American. The definitions of “American” vary- a citizen of the United States, a native of the North or South Americas, or someone who is born, raised, or living in the United States. Regardless of the ever-so-logical tweeters, Davuluri is just as “American” as anyone else. She was born in Syracuse, NY, fulfilling the first and third definition. Her ancestors may not be a native of the North or South Americas, but the chances of one of her twitter detractors being 100% Native-American is almost non-existent as well.

As an Indian-American girl, I look up to Davuluri for her courage and uniqueness.

She is doing a great job ignoring these comments, especially since her competition platform focused on “celebrating diversity through cultural competency.” Davuluri eloquently addressed the offensive Tweets and other comments.

“I have to rise above that. I always viewed myself as first and foremost American,” said Davuluri.