Glenbard North offense proves too much for the Huskies

By Staff Writer John Conway

The  NNHS varsity football team faced a defeat in its game at Glenbard North on Friday, Sept. 14.

The biggest problem the Huskies faced in their 37-28 loss to the Panthers was stalling Glenbard’s overpowering offensive drives. The Huskie defensive line was able to hold Glenbard North for much of the game, but the Panther’s intensity proved to be too much in the end. Glenbard North crushed the Huskies hopes with a rushing touchdown at 2:18 left in the game, making the final score of 37-28.

“Obviously we ran the ball effectively,” said Glenbard North Head Coach Ryan Wilkens. “We tried to keep [NNHS’] offense off the field, and with an up-tempo offense like theirs, it’s hard to prep for.”

The NNHS offense was a threat early on, scoring a rushing TD within the first three minutes of the game. But after NNHS received the ball for its second drive, a QB sack gave Glenbard its first points with a safety. Then the Panther offense got started, scoring two consecutive touchdowns and a 2-pt conversion, ending the first quarter with a score of 17-7  in favor of Glenbard North. 

The Huskies took a 21-17 lead in the second quarter. They lost it, however, before the half was over.

Connor Johannes was a huge asset for the Huskies during the game, securing every yard he possibly could. Whether is was a short pass to the outside, or a QB sneak for the first down, Johannes seized every opportunity which he was confronted with, and helped the Huskies keep the chains moving.

Although Glenbard North was successful offensively, the Huskie defense made some impressive plays throughout the game. Most notable was the blocked punt in the 3rd quarter by the Huskies receiving line-up. The team also picked up a number of fumbles and interceptions, never letting Glenbard get over a 2-score lead on them.

Although this game put a mark in the loss column for the Huskies, the team was showed its fans a display of defensive fortitude and offensive prowess. NNHS head coach Sean Drendel said he was proud of the team’s performance.

“I thought both teams played hard,” Drendel said. “The turning point in the game [was] that they were able to punch in [a touchdown], and we weren’t. We had some scoring opportunities that we just couldn’t seize. I’m proud of the way the guys played, and I still think we’re a really good football team.”