College is no longer a ticket to sucess?

By Emma Dawson

As the class of 2013 wraps up its senior year, deadlines for college applications have passed and many students have already received their much-anticipated acceptance letters, and are now dreaming about the endless opportunities that seem to rely solely on the actions they take within this critical time. Unfortunately, even after they make their final decisions and choose a school, they may have more to worry about.

The cost of college tuition has risen by 1,120 percent in the last 30 years, a rate that is four times larger than the consumer price index according to Mellissa Stusinski, editorial writer for The Inquisitr. As jobs become scarce for college graduates, more and more students question whether or not a college education is “worth it”—nearly 50% of today’s college graduates cannot find jobs within a year of graduation. The cost of not going to college has risen at nearly the same rate as the cost of college tuition; those who earn a four-year college degree make an average of $2 million more in their lifetime than those who earn only a high school degree. This creates a paradox so discouraging that students are left with few chances at success.

The struggle of this generation also creates a drastic generation gap; even though the recession of the last several years has hit country hard as a whole, it has impacted the younger generation far more. They are less established in their careers, have less experience and will therefore have a harder time recovering. Many graduates are struggling with tuition loan debts—the national debt for student loans has nearly hit $1 trillion.

The Class of 2013 cannot ignore this. There seems to be little security in our futures, forcing us to question the opportunities that colleges claim to grant us. For most, it has been seen as an obligatory part of the “American Dream”.  Since many of us were very young, it seemed that college was expected, and that it would be a guarantee to success, wealth, and happiness. We rely on our diplomas to bring us these things, and that’s what makes this rise in cost and decline in success so dangerous.

It is clear that the education system needs a reform. As campaigns and presidential debates entrance the nation, each candidate is being pressured to fix the struggles that our generation faces, and both Obama and Romney have presented their options. Obama’s plan relies on federal aid to universities to improve affordability, and includes regulations that will allow students to more effectively compare universities, with more accurate information and mandatory disclosure. Obama will continue to support Pell grants, and promises to restructure the incentives that universities receive based on tuition costs. Similarly, Romney’s plan promises to support colleges that lower tuition costs, but at the same time, does not support Pell grants or loan forgiveness, and may include a reduction of federal financial aid.

Unfortunately, neither plan seems promising. Romney’s plan lacks a feasible way to directly lower tuition costs, and would restrict the availability of Pell grants. Likewise, Obama’s plan does not seem practical in its proposal to lower tuition; although mandatory disclosure to students is an interesting and somewhat hopeful idea, it will do nothing to help with affordability.

As students, this may seem like a dead end. But the healthiest thing we can do is to change our outlook on the college experience, and recognize its purpose and necessity. We can consider options like community colleges as inexpensive alternatives, or look into trade schools that may be more beneficial and personally fitting in the end. The “American Dream” is constantly changing in principle, and we cannot let our preconceived expectations hold us back. We have to be prepared to face the struggles that may face us; we have to take initiative, and we have to be willing to change.