Emma’s Reel Deal: Christmas Classics to get you in the Holiday Spirit

With the weight of final project deadlines and exams just around the corner, it’s hard to get into the “holiday spirit”—many of us find ourselves more stressed than jolly. But I have a simple medicine for you: film. Because a movie can be more powerful than those seasonal Starbucks beverages and longer-lasting than the twinkle of your neighborhood’s Christmas light displays. And when film comes hand-in-hand with heavy doses of nostalgia, it acts as the ultimate mood-booster.

The 1983 classic “A Christmas Story” is still a favorite today, keeping its place in our hearts through its humor and the genuine, relatable humility of its characters. Much of the magic of “A Christmas Story” owes to the fact that it never becomes too serious and the conflicts are never too critical; the film focuses on mostly juvenile tribulations through the eyes of Ralphie Parker (Peter Billingsley), a nine-year-old boy who is desperate for a Red Ryder BB Gun for Christmas, but who is warned by his mother, his teacher, and even the department store’s Santa Claus—“You’re going to shoot your eye out!” Nearly 30 years after its release, “A Christmas Story” continues to capture the modest faults while encouraging the togetherness of the average American family.

“A Charlie Brown Christmas”, a 25-minute animated story originally run as a TV-special in the mid 60s, is yet another classic holiday favorite. Based on the comic strip Peanuts by Charles M. Schultz, this short follows Charlie Brown, who admits to feeling depressed due to the “over commercialization of Christmas”. To hear this complaint come from a child is darkly funny, and also provides the film with a striking impact through its blatant criticism of society. It provides a message that is still completely relevant today, and one that we should be reminded of as often as possible. From Linus’ recitation of the Gospel of Luke to the gang’s restoration of the sad, sparse little tree, “A Charlie Brown Christmas” enforces, as Linus would say, “what Christmas is all about”.

Of course, we cannot forget “It’s a Wonderful Life,” which is considered one of the most loved films in American cinema. Jimmy Stewart plays George Bailey, the average father and husband who, throughout the course of the film, is revealed to be a quiet hero. Stewart perfectly expresses his character’s desperate confusion as his guardian angel allows him to see how the town of Bedford Falls, New York and all of the people he knew in his lifetime would be affected if he had never been born. This film reveals the value of life and the unexpected significance of all relationships. Since its release in 1946, “It’s a Wonderful Life” has instilled in its viewers the most honest appreciation for not only the holiday season, but for friends, family, and life.

I know how busy you all are, but after a long semester, we deserve it. Take just enough time out of your day to sit down with your favorite holiday movie, and I guarantee a warmth and nostalgia and enough spirit to drive you through your final exams.