Winter Concert’s looking chilly good

By Hamza Ahsan

Living in a city like Chicago, the music scene never stops.. After having an array of great festivals like Lollapalooza, North Coast, and SummerBash, the winter season promises to add to the list of outstanding events. With a flurry of concerts coming this winter, here are the top concerts – by genre – that will be soon playing around the Chicago area.

Country:

Rascal Flatts-Peoria Civic Center, Peoria, Illinois (1/20/12)

One of the most well-known country artists of all time, Rascal Flatts will be playing in nearby Peoria, and will play alongside country singers Sara Evans and Hunter Hayes. Tickets for this show will range on average, $50 to about $150, but expect the prices to go up soon.

Rock:

Rise Against-UIC Pavilion, Chicago, Illinois (1/27/12)

Known as one of the top alternative bands to come out of Chicago, Rise Against will be back to play for its hometown fans. Featuring songs like “Make it Stop” and “Help is on the Way,” Rise Against is expected to put on a show at the UIC Pavilion. The price for the show will range anywhere from $75 to $120 and based on their previous history, the ticket will be well worth the price.

O.A.R.-Aragon Ballroom, Chicago, Illinois (2/9/12)

Among college and high school students, O.A.R. has become a popular rock group in the past few years. Having done a successful performance in Chicago about a year ago, O.A.R. is back playing at the Aragon Ballroom. Fans must arrive their early in order to get a spot close to the stage. Prices for tickets are going to sale for about $50, but expect the tickets to go up as tickets will soon sell out.

Hip-Hop/Rap:

Watch the Throne: Jay-Z & Kanye West-United Center, Chicago, Illinois (11/30/11 & 12/1/11)

The most anticipated concert of the year, featuring Jay-Z & Kanye West, will be a two day show at the sold out United Center. Fans will have the opportunity to listen to two of raps greatest artists of all time. This once in a lifetime event has already sold out on Ticketmaster, but for a hefty price between $90 and $350 one can be a part of the hyped up Watch the Throne tour.

B96 Jingle Bash-Allstate Arena, Rosemont, Illinois (12/17/11)

With one of the most star-studded lineups of the year, the B96 Jingle Bash will be a concert that is expected to live up to its expectations. This concert will feature artists such as LMFAO, Selena Gomez, Jason DeRulo, Enrique Iglesias, Cobra Starship, and much more. Tickets for this show are still being sold, but they range anywhere from a cheap $40 seat to a $200 ticket with a great view of the stage.

Techno/Dance/DubStep:

Big Gigantic-Vic Theatre, Chicago, Illinois (12/31/11)

For any high school seniors that are at least 18 years old and don’t want to spend New Year’s Eve with the family, this concert will be the place to be. Big Gigantic will be having a New Year’s Eve concert, along with The Polish Ambassador and LoBounce, at the Vic Theatre in Chicago. While tickets for this event weren’t supposed to be sold out, they quickly did this past week. Expect StubHub and Craigslist to be shipping out tickets for this show as we arrive closer to Christmas break.