You know what you need? A chunky knit sweater.

By Maddie Gissler

Featured on the fall 2011 runways was the staple that is necessary to have if you want to survive the Chicagoland fall/winter weather – the chunky knit sweater. Whether it’s a pullover, a cardigan, short or long, it is a piece that every girl should have in her closet for the cold season we all know so well.

This piece comes in a variety of colors, patterns and cuts depending on where you choose to buy it from.

American Eagle provides a great printed version of the cardigan style (which can be belted in some cases). BP at Nordstrom provides a good example of a tunic style of the sweater. One of the best places to get sweaters is Topshop, which recently opened a location on Michigan Avenue in Chicago; the store features chunky knits in all shapes, sizes and colors.

One can wear this sweater in a variety of ways, depending on the cut and shape. The “chunky” sweater is supposed to be loose and is not designed to be snug. This sweater is best worn with flat or riding boots, like those featured on Steve Madden’s website, and a seasonal scarf, much like the way BP at Nordstrom displayed it on their website. If the sweater is bright or features a pattern, it is best to make the sweater the focus of the outfit with neutral accessories; on the other hand, if the sweater is a neutral color, like gray, one could wear a bright shirt or tank underneath or use a bright scarf for a pop of color.

Overall, the chunky sweater can be worn by all. There is a fit, color and pattern out there for everyone, making it easy to make such a versatile piece uniquely yours.