Naper-thrill settlement

By Amanda Spizzirri

Finally it is that time of year where the only purpose of your pants, is to get them scared off; Halloween.

Obviously there are many attractions that teenagers trend towards at this time of year: costume parties, Six Flags’ Fright Fest, and many haunted houses such as Statesville Prison. But don’t you want to experience something new this year, something spooky, something gory, something 19th century?

All Hallows Eve is an event held at Naperville’s very own Naper Settlement Friday October 21st and Saturday October 22nd.

According to Jo Ruggiero, staff member at Naper Settlement, this tradition has been going on for 8 years now. It began as an October education enhancement program, and grew into this one-of-a-kind Naperville experience.

Although students at NNHS may perceive this event as “lame” or “boring”, it’s been known to attract a vast number of visitors.

“Some years,” Ruggiero says, “we get as much as 4000 people in one weekend.”

Another misconception students have about Naper Settlement is that it does not appeal to the teenage population, and is solely deemed a family event.

Ruggiero made it apparent that they do not encourage the weekend as a family event, because although there is no violent gore or men with chainsaws, it is still too intense for children under the age of 10.

Students at NNHS constantly complain about Naperville’s lack of allure, and how there is nothing to do here.

So if you find yourself bored in Naperthrill this coming weekend, venture outside of your comfort zone and experience some unique, antique terror.