Feathers: Better on the Bird or in Your Hair?

By Maddie Gissler

The feather trend has taken fall accessories by storm whether they are featured on earrings, necklaces or even in hair. Wherever they are, and wherever one can find them, they have become the must-have fashion staple.

Feather accessories can definitely take an outfit up a notch, particularly feather earrings. Forever 21 provides beautiful options ranging in all colors from hot pink to turquoise to brown at extremely affordable prices. (Check out the BP department at Nordstrom, as well.) If one chooses a bolder color in feathered earring, they may need to plan a neutral outfit. Some may also pick their feather earring color based on the way it looks with their hair color. One should also consider earrings that compliment their eyes. For instance, a turquoise blue would make blue eyes pop.

Similarly, feather necklaces can add a punch to any regular outfit. What one wears with this staple depends entirely on the color of the feather; if neutral, wear with a bright skirt, shirt or dress, but if the feather is a bold color, pair it with neutrals to accentuate how bright it is.

One of the bolder feather trends is feather hair extensions. The extensions are available at Zano Salons, Lifetime Fitness and at other salons and spas all over the Chicagoland area. The lifespan of the feathers depends on where they are applied and how the wearer takes care of their hair. These extensions can be cut, curled, straightened and blow dried. Clip-on feather extensions can be found at Ulta for roughly $15, but some salons charge approximately $30 for the feather and crimp bead application.

So now you may be wondering which color feather will look best with your hair color and cut. Well, when it comes to cut, most feathers can be cut to flatter a variety of lengths. When it comes to hair color…

Blonde hair would look best with a light gray, white, or a golden/brown extension; however, if you are looking for a pop of color, they should seek pink.

Brunettes should consider all shades of purple for their statement color, and dark grays and light browns for a tone that would blend in more.

Girls with red hair should consider bright blue for a pop of color, while also using dark grey if they’re looking for a lighter spin on the trend.

Lastly, raven-haired girls should use blue or red for a flash of color, and light browns and grays if they are looking to lighten up their hair.

One may realize that multiple feather colors compliment multiple hair colors. This is where the fun with feathers begins; remember these are suggestions and that when it comes down to it, you should pick the feather that you think expresses you the best.