Not Dancing about “Dance Party” DJ’s

By Amanda Spizzirri

Naperville North prides themselves on pleasing their students, and aiding them towards having the best high school experience imaginable – and what’s more magical than the homecoming dance.

Naperville North students tend to lean towards a “give it all or nothing” attitude. Walk across the dance floor Homecoming night and you are bound to see red carpet fashions sported by the ever so elegant student body.

What else might you notice while walking across the dance floor?  The “dance party” music, of course.

Naperville North has selectively chosen an elite and exclusive DJ to host our events for the past 3 years: “The Dance Party DJs”. If you think the name is bad, we can assure you the show they put on is much worse.

Dance Party DJs claims to, “use only professional grade equipment” and they guarantee, “more-than-adequate sound and lighting”. But after the dance, the student body made it clear that one of the worst parts of their night was in fact the sound quality.

The complaints were centralized around the music not being loud enough. Students projected their opinions that when they go to a dance, they want to feel entranced in the power of the music.

Students stated at times the dance was “awkward” or “uncomfortable” because people’s voices could easily be heard above the music.

Obviously there is no shame in high-school entertainers putting on a less than impressive show. What is shameful is Dance Party DJs proclaiming, “[their] sound and lighting rivals the largest nightclubs in Chicago.” Really?

These DJs were not even mixing anything. The same result could have been achieved by playing an iTunes playlist throughout the dance.

If Naperville North’s main objective is to provide their students with a top- notch homecoming experience, then why would they even waste the money on such poor entertainers?

At Neuqua Valley High School, they allow their student DJs to mix a set at the beginning of the dance. This not only gives student DJs an incredible experience, but gives the entire student body pride in their peers.

I think Naperville North would benefit from adopting this trend, because even the most novice DJs could have put on a better show.

Overall, I rate these “disc jockeys SPECIFICALLY trained for high school dances” a 3 out of 10. I guess it was better than no music.