The Best Makeup Products to Overcome School Air

Photo by Addy Doxey

“School air” has become a popular TikTok term to describe that feeling when you are in school, your makeup goes away and you begin to feel uglier. At the start of the day, I will do my makeup just to look in the mirror halfway through the day and see it’s all gone. “School air” affects many students daily. But luckily there are ways to overcome it without spending a ton of money on new products. Below is a list of makeup products that I have found to work best for me to overcome “school air,” allowing yourself to stay confident throughout the whole day.

Elf Power Grip Primer + 4% Niacinamide

The Elf Power Grip Primer + 4% Niacinamide is a $10, skin-friendly, adhesive gel base that allows your favorite makeup to stick to your face for longer periods of time. With the constant exposure to “school air,” it is essential for any student that wants a makeup look that stays all day to include this primer in their makeup routine for its lasting effect. 

Maybelline Instant Age Rewind® Eraser

The Maybelline Instant Age Rewind® Eraser is a $10.99 multi-functional concealer or contour. The product uses a cushion tip applicator for applying the patchless and crease-resistant formula. Maybelline has mastered the ability to remain cheap while making their makeup look rich, as it compliments the skin. Lasting up to 12 hours, this product is perfect for combating “school air.”

Milani Baked Blush

The Milani Baked Blush is a $10.99 potted powder blush. The blush mimics a sunkissed look on the cheeks, even if you have not been in the sun in months. The buildability of the product provides a personalizable aspect that many blushes struggle to achieve. This product gives you the power to stand out through something so subtle as the color of your cheeks, something your hallway crush is sure to notice.

ColourPop Hyaluronic Tinted Moisturizer

The ColourPop Hyaluronic Tinted Moisturizer retails for $15. This product moisturizes your skin while providing you with a glow upon application. The moisturizer uses hyaluronic acid and coconut water, both ingredients that soften and support your skin. If you wear base makeup at school, use this instead of foundation to avoid splotches, makeup pilling or cakiness. This product is a great alternative to other thicker base products that might  not feel comfortable on your skin at school. This product lasts throughout the day and is good for your skin.

Essences’ Lash Princess Mascara

Essence Cosmetics has created five $5 mascaras under their “lash princess” line. Each mascara focuses on different aspects of your lashes to allow you to pick which is most desirable for you. These aspects include the ability to have volume, a false lash effect, curl & volume, sculpted volume and a waterproof false lash effect. This affordable mascara is personable and lasts you all day long which is perfect for overcoming school air.

Elf’s Stay All Night Micro-Fine Setting Mist

Elf’s Stay All Night Micro-Fine Setting Mist is a $10 setting spray that aims to lock in and finish off any makeup look providing it to withstand long school days. This product is lightweight, allowing for a look that supports the idea that you woke up looking this good. This setting spray keeps makeup on someone without change for up to 16 hours. Setting spray, along with primer, are the most important makeup products when it comes to the longevity of a makeup look. If you want one for a good price, Elf’s Stay All Night Micro-Fine Setting Mist is the way to go.

“School air” is a big problem for teenagers who deal with long and overwhelming school days. But with these products that I tested, those problems could be minimized to have your makeup look as good as new even at the end of the school day.