Slow Walkers at Naperville North

Photo by Sean Czaplewski

The Naperville North hallways can feel like a game of human Frogger. The obstacles are real, and the stakes are high. In the complex world of hallway navigation, there are unwritten rules of conduct: stay to the right, keep moving and for goodness’ sake, let faster walkers pass. Slow walkers are not just a mild annoyance; they are the bane of our existence. It’s not about being impatient; it’s about surviving the daily gauntlet of the school hallways. Imagine this scenario: you’re on a mission to get to your next class on time, dodging fellow students, juggling your books, and mentally rehearsing your presentation. Suddenly, your path is blocked by someone who has adopted the walking pace of a sloth on a leisurely Sunday stroll.

Slow walking is a conscious decision to defy the laws of efficiency, a stubborn commitment to frustrate the rest of us trying to navigate the academic labyrinth. It’s not just about their lackadaisical pace; it’s the sheer oblivion to the world around them. Slow walkers seem to exist in a blissful bubble where they are the only beings in motion, entirely disconnected from the bustling reality of a high school hallway. They could be courteous and move, but no, evil marches to its own tune.

What’s worse than a slow walker? Slow walkers slow walking together – without moving very fast. They form this aggravating moving blockade that seems impervious to pleas for passage. Hallway intersections become battlegrounds. Those in a hurry engage in a high-stakes game of maneuvering and dodging.

So here’s a heartfelt plea to the slow walkers: please, for the sake of the collective sanity of the Naperville North student body, be aware of your surroundings. Look to your left and right. How fast is the wall moving to your rear? If you notice a growing procession of exasperated students forming behind you, consider stepping aside or picking up the pace. It’s a courtesy you owe everyone. After all, the hallways are meant to be conduits of progress, not breeding grounds of frustration.