“Open Hours” implemented in NNHS Student Services

The Naperville North Student Services Department has implemented “Open Hours” during which students will be able to meet with counselors — no appointment necessary. The program, which began in February, is intended to give students the opportunity to speak with counselors about college applications, scheduling issues and personal matters, according to the Huskie Howler newsletter.

Also known as “Walk-in hours,” the designated days are published weekly in the Huskie Howler and scheduled for periods 4, 5 and 6; however, many students are unaware of the program.

Counselor Erin LeRoy did not think students are taking advantage of the opportunity quite yet, but is hopeful for higher attendance as “Open Hours” are made known.

“Ideally, we would like students to see us as a resource and be able to come and see their counselors when they want,” LeRoy said.

According to Student Services Director Jeff Farson, the initial idea resulted from a survey filled out by NNHS students in the fall. Average responses rated the counseling staff accessibility as three out of five, sparking a discussion on how to improve student-counselor relationships.

“Staff, students [and] families… don’t necessarily know all that [school counselors] are here for and all we can do,” LeRoy said. “Publicizing what our roles are and what we’re able to offer to students and their families… would be hugely beneficial.”

The remaining “Open Hours” dates for the school year are April 26 and 30, and May 8.