NNHS faculty and students “brave the shave”

On Mar. 17, Naperville North will pack into the fieldhouse to cheer on students and teachers alike as locks of hair fall to the ground to support childhood cancer research through St. Baldricks.

North has been involved with St. Baldrick’s since 2006 and the event has gained a lot of popularity and support over time. This year, the school had over 30 people sign up to raise money for the cause and shave their head.

Whether it be the uniqueness of the event or the cause it supports, each and every participant is shaving their head for a reason.

Freshman Isabella Isherwood is shaving her head for the first time to bring awareness to childhood cancer and to fight the apathy people may have towards it.

“The worst thing in the world for me is lost potential,” said Isherwood. “There is so much that each individual in this world can give, and when a child loses their life, to a disease, hunger, violence, or any kind of preventable harm, it’s truly heartbreaking. I don’t think we as a society do enough to prevent the loss of potential.”

Naperville North counselor and St. Baldrick’s Volunteer Event Organizer Chuck Koch has been shaving his head for nine years. He wants to be as involved as possible in fighting childhood cancer.

I’m not a scientist or a medical doctor, and I had to do something. St. Baldrick’s provided me with the opportunity to help,” said Koch.

Some participants such as freshman Lindsey Jennings are participating just because they want to have a little change in their life.

“I have wanted to do this since about fifth grade because I always thought it would be cool to rock a look not a lot of people pull off. I have been trying to do as many different hairstyles as I can before the event,” said Jennings.

Junior Gabe Matar has participated in St. Baldrick’s for six years, and over time he has seen the strong impact it has on the school.

“I think the school really benefits from the Spring Assembly, watching all the top donors getting their heads shaved. It’s so much fun to see all the bald heads on that Friday and especially at the Spring dance,” said Matar.

No matter the reasons that shavers are participating, each one is proud of what they’re doing and can’t wait to show off their freshly shaven heads.