Orchesis show leaves ‘Lasting Impression’ on audiences this past weekend

Photo by Jacob de Waard

Dancers get into formation before The Orchesis Show’s opener

Last weekend, Naperville North Orchesis was teeming with pirouettes, grins and applause. The club’s production, “Lasting Impressions,” presented a multitude of student-choreographed dances in styles ranging from contemporary to jazz to hip hop.

The weeks leading up to the Orchesis show were filled with rigorous rehearsals and thrilling performances. Logging long hours after the school day ended, these dancers were motivated and committed to putting on a memorable show. NNHS freshman Orchesis member Kaia Connor noted emotions were certainly running high the night of the last performance.

“It was definitely a night to remember. All of a sudden, that last night, everything hits you,” Connor said.  “This is the last time we’ll be with the seniors, and this is the last time we’ll all be performing alongside each other. It was really emotional.”

Since August, Orchesis members have worked tirelessly to perfect their timing and formations. NNHS senior and Orchesis Vice President Maddy Thorne explained the club’s weekly drills and exercises to improve technique and focus on various skills like turns or leaps.

“We usually had an officer lead some normal warmups. It’s important for us to do these simple stretches to our best ability so that we don’t pull anything and are able to dance to our best ability,” said Thorne.

Tech week was filled with long dress rehearsals and finalizing dances. The tech crew was meticulous in fine-tuning the lighting to match the tone embodying each piece of choreography to best complement the movements of the dancers.

For many, Orchesis has served as an outlet in which students are permitted to develop their character and self-esteem. With the platform the club has provided, Orchesis members can easily find common ground with each other through their passion for dance, and the social bonds dancers make in the group are long-lasting.

For others, it is an opportunity to develop their leadership and choreography skills as student leaders of Orchesis, known as officers. This position is available for juniors and seniors and involves organization, choreography, and communication with club members. Junior Danielle Soukup has enjoyed her experience as an officer as well as a performer.

“It’s the best feeling in the world to see your friends by your side doing what they love,” Soukup said. “Orchesis has shaped me as a person. I’ve done it since freshman year, and it has been a part of my high school experience, and I couldn’t imagine myself without it. Orchesis is all about you, the people next to you, and growing as a person and as a dancer.”

Orchesis certainly made its everlasting impression on the dancers and audience members last weekend.