‘Lightnin’ strikes at NNHS

Photo by Kelly Tang.

Instead of spending a night “Alone At a Drive-In Movie,” come and see Naperville North’s spring musical, Grease. The show opened Wednesday, April 27 and runs through Sunday, May 1. The cast and crew have been busy rehearsing to put on the best show possible.

Junior Abby Byrne, one of three student producers, is optimistic about the community’s response to the musical due to the school-wide familiarity with Grease.

“Because [Grease] is the senior theme and it’s a well known musical, and also because of Grease Live, I think a lot of people will enjoy it,” Byrne said.

Over 100 students have been “Hopelessly Devoted” to the spring musical since February. At least three days each week, the cast, ensemble, tech crew, pit members and costume crew worked together to perfect their show, sometimes even later than scheduled.

According to the assistant director, Thomas Parry, the amount of days off at NNHS this semester has cut down on time available to rehearse. As a result, Parry said the cast had to work harder than usual during “tech week,” which is considered the most hectic time of the season for students involved in theater.

Sophomore Holly Spinner, a member of the ensemble, said she has a love-hate relationship with tech week.

“Tech week is a lot of hard work, but it’s when you get to spend the most time with your friends,” Spinner said.

Parry, a former cast member in his own high school’s musicals, has thoroughly enjoyed his experience directing NNHS’ Grease.

“The best part of directing is definitely seeing the growth from the first day, with no one knowing anything to somehow everything working together in one big, cohesive unit,” Parry said. “It’s wonderful.”

Audience members can expect a fun-filled show that stays true to the versions of Grease students already know. According to Parry, NNHS’ adaptation includes iconic numbers such as “Greased Lightnin’” and “Beauty School Dropout.”

According to Spinner, both the audience and the cast members enjoy these famous numbers.

“My favorite scene is ‘Greased Lightnin’’ because it’s funny to watch my friends do the dance,” Spinner said. “‘Beauty School Dropout’ is fun because the teen angel, Alex Gray, is really good and I love to hear her sing.”

Byrne hopes Grease will inspire students to step out of their comfort zones and try something new in theater during their years at NNHS.

“A lot of times people get discouraged if they don’t get a role, but there are so many other aspects of theater, like producing, assistant directing, costumes and tech crew,” Byrne said. “Get involved and try something new because it’s a great group of people.”

You might even find you were “Born to Hand Jive.”