First fall musical coming to NNHS

First fall musical coming to NNHS

As the summer ends and schools begins, students at Naperville North are getting ready for another fall season complete with sports, changing leaves and homecoming.

But as students continue the many traditions that fall brings, the school is giving rise to an abundance of new events and activities. Of these, one of the greatest buzzes resonates from the Huskie music wing, home of the newly established Fall Musical: “Little Shop of Horrors.”

The show originally ran on Broadway about 30 years ago before being revived 18 years later.

In the past, the NNHS  music department has hosted a variety of straight plays, including the spring play and spring show, not to mention the ever popular spring musical, but never a fall musical.

Director Andy Simon shared the vision of starting a brand new fall musical along with Assistant Director Thomas Parry, Music Director Nicholas Janssen,  and Katie Trowbridge, who is in charge of student producers and non-performance elements.

The show consists of a smaller cast of 27 people unlike a spring musical that tends to have a large cast and chorus, according to Simon.

“We felt it would be something that would really energize the program,” Simon said.

Auditions took place over the summer, where each auditionee showed off their skills singing, dancing and acting. Currently, the cast is in the process of staging and blocking the show in addition to perfecting and memorizing the music.

Lead Ana Oddo, a junior, has been working hard to effectively portray her character Audrey, a co-shop clerk in a failing flower shop. Working with Seymour, played by junior Nathan Biggs, the duo ends up acquiring a new plant which feeds on human blood.

“Being able to play [Audrey] – it’s a dream,” Oddo said. “It’s a really cool opportunity to work with two talented people.”

Not only are the performers excited, but students from NNHS are already anticipating the show, which will run from Oct. 2 to Oct. 4.

One of these students is freshman Lauren Guidish. She has noticed how dedicated to the musical the cast is.

“I’m excited to see this one,” Guidish said. “It’s really fun to listen to and you can tell that all the actors and actresses have invested their time [in the show].”

Simon said the fall musical may not become a regular thing, but is an experiment that will be revisited in the next few years.

“I think it is going to create a really exciting opportunity for the kids,” Simon said. “I’m excited to see it continue to come together.”