CTE department wins pumpkin-carving tradition

Production by Multimedia Managing Editor Jakob Wastek

As various students walked the halls in creative Halloween costumes this year, Naperville North staff members continued tradition in the Student Activities office.

This year, the CTE department won the competition with their cheeseburger-themed pumpkin. They received 117 of the 167 votes, according to CTE teacher Rebecca DiOrio.

The competition was judged via text message, and voting was open until sixth period on Friday, Oct. 31. Each pumpkin was given a number to remain anonymous to all voters. The creative designs ranged from a pumpkin puzzle to a delicious looking cheeseburger.

The contest began two years ago when the Positive School Culture Community, a committee that creates positive activities for staff at NNHS, began a new fall tradition. Nearing Halloween, each staff department designed a pumpkin, which was then judged by students during the week of Halloween.

According to student activities director Jennifer Baumgartner, the contest was modified from the previous year.

“Last year, the departments were able to bring their pumpkins in,” Baumgartner said. “This year they all had to be carved in school.”

The alteration, which also included a time limit on how long each department had to complete its pumpkin, was made to level the playing field.