Athletes sacrifice summer for additional training

The countdown has begun. With less than two days left in the school year, students cannot wait for a break. Once the summer vacation begins, they can catch up on sleep, spend time with friends and family, and even travel.

However, student athletes look forward to a very different kind of summer.

For athletes remaining in Naperville, summer is a time to maximize their potential. Without the added scholastic stress, coaches have free reign to push their athletes without fear of academic repercussions.

Junior Mitch Szymel, offensive lineman for the football team, benefits from the NNHS-sponsored sports camps.“Obviously there’s the physical aspect,” Szymel said. “But there is also the ability to refine your technique and bond with your teammates. If you give it your all, you can expect to get a lot out of it.”

However, summer is also the time to stand out on your team and impress your coaching staff. After athletes prove themselves and secure a steady varsity position on the team, summer sports camps may seem like a less-than-necessary endeavor. Junior Fiona Baenziger, varsity goalkeeper for the girls soccer team, has observed this trend on her own team.

“I hate to say it, but older kids don’t usually go [to the girls’ soccer camp],” Baenziger said. “Juniors and seniors on varsity don’t usually go. It’s mostly just the younger, freshman and sophomore kids.”

No sport requires summer attendance; compulsory summer programs go against IHSA guidelines and pose a conflict for students looking to travel during break. But if students stay local during the summer, and are not busied by work or family, coaches strongly suggest attendance at these programs.

According to athletic director Jim Konrad, one of the greatest aspects of these camps is that they strengthen both athletes and teams.

“All of our kids want to win,” Konrad said. “The more time they spend together and with the coaching staff is going to help them have their best personal season, and also the team have their best season.”

Moreover, athletes who do not maintain an active summer lifestyle have an increased risk during the on-season, according to girls cross-country head coach Dan Iverson.

“The kids know that if they blow off the summer, they pay the price for it,” Iverson said. “They’re not in shape. It’ll be hard for them, and in the end, they are probably going to end up hurting themselves.”

According to Konrad, NNHS’ athletic camps usually extend into the first week of August. But exceptionally dedicated athletes do not stop there. Many compete in activities hosted by team captains for the remaining weeks of the summer as well.

But, according to athletic trainer Jason Majchrowski, summer athletic camps may not be an ideal pastime, particularly for student-athletes who participate in multiple seasons during the year.

“Well, honestly, it could be bad to not give yourself a break,” Majchrowski said. “Especially with multi-sport athletes. With all the pressure that is put on their bodies throughout the year, a summer of intense training might not be the best idea.”