Got too many hours?

How to cope with a time-consuming job.

Like anything new, starting a job is always stressful. Each job is different and it takes a while to learn the ropes of the workplace. Yet it seems that for high school students, the biggest stressor of all is working too many hours.

Upon getting hired, setting boundaries for when you can and cannot work is crucial. If you know you have practice every Tuesday and Thursday night, make sure your employer knows before they schedule you for shifts you can’t make.

Unfortunately, even if you make your conflicts clear upfront, your employer still might over-schedule you. It’s important to remember that even though you want to prove yourself as a hardworking and motivated employee, your employer must understand your priorities.

New employees should make an effort to leave work on time. This proves you were able to get your work done during your shift and that you do not feel obligated to stay past your shift. Another recommendation for new employees is to casually, but not directly, mention that you are not able to work late every night.

If you get a lot of homework during the school week, make sure your employer is aware. That way, they are more likely to understand how important school is to you and less likely to always schedule you during the week.

After several months of working for the same employer, you should feel comfortable talking to him or her about your hours. Start the conversation by stating how much you enjoy the job, and finish the conversation by gently asking for what you want. Never ask your boss why they schedule you so much, because the truth is they probably had no idea they were putting too much on your plate.

If your employer is still over-scheduling you and not respecting your other commitments, it may be in your best interest to find another job. Most employers are able to adjust your schedule so you are not working late each night. If you would rather work mornings instead of long nights, working at a breakfast restaurant or only working during the summer might be better. Nicole Mullins, a senior at Naperville North, said she chose her current job based on her availability.

“I am always busy during the school year so I knew I needed to apply to a job that would allow me to only work during the summer,” Mullins said. “Having a job as a lifeguard fits my hectic schedule perfectly because I am always free during the summer.”

Finding a job that is perfect for your schedule will take some research. The easiest way to get information on a job you are interested in is to ask around. Talk to students in your classes or check social media to get feedback from people that have worked at the jobs you are considering.

Having a job as a student is all about prioritizing, and it’s crucial to budget your time and know what is best for you.