Living numberless: why optional testing is beneficial

Whether it be the SAT, ACT or the PSAT, standardized testing is a challenge for most high school students. But what if if wasn’t a requirement?

Several universities across the nation are changing the way they accept students to their institution by either clearing out standardized testing or making it optional. According to Prep Scholar, there are three options found among these schools: “test optional,” “test flexible” and “test blind.” Each of these options are fairly self-explanatory: “test optional” is when the university allows prospective students to decide whether or not they would like to send their test scores as a part of their application. “Test flexible” means the school allows you to send your test scores but this doesn’t always mean they will be important aspect of a student’s application. Finally, there is “test blind;” these colleges disregard test scores completely.

While most college ranking sites have declared these schools ineligible due a lack of testing data, there are still numerous benefits for students attending or considering these schools. One of these is a reduced amount of stress going into the application process.

There is always an overwhelming frustration that follows students from the desk to the testing room to the desk again as they prepare for an exam. Perhaps what’s most discouraging is that one number seems to encapsulate the fate of the future for many students.Whether students are taking a heavy exam, or even a quiz, students are frequently dependent on a number for a validation. But a number isn’t exactly the best way to learn and become innovative contributors to society.

Not only do test scores drive our efforts in the wrong direction, but they also wash away any rational standard of what makes a student qualified for a particular college experience. Teenagers worry about their test scores for countless rationales, and one continues to be competition. I refused to believe that this could ever happen to me. Unfortunately, my refusal made it even clearer that I was still competing, and I was envious of friends and family who scored higher, even if I scored higher in certain areas.

According to The American Testing Anxiety Association (AMTAA) 16 to 20 percent of students have “test anxiety.” With this in mind, how can we neglect the students whose test scores falsely reflect their actual intelligence? Whether it be ADHD, ADD, depression, anxiety or another condition, the accommodations for more time and different location do not always cut it. The same pressure still applies, making the exam as grueling and arduous as ever.

These schools are making a tremendous change in the way society views college acceptance. The elimination of all standardized tests does not have to be a necessity, but simply an alternative option to benefit those who need it.