JSA provides outlet for politically interested students

From+left+to+right%2C+Kasia+Przybyl%2C+Brian+Lapham+and+Shruti+Baxi.+Photo+courtesy+of+Anson+Tong.+

From left to right, Kasia Przybyl, Brian Lapham and Shruti Baxi. Photo courtesy of Anson Tong.

Students pack into room 256 from every grade, ethnicity, religion and clique, talking about topics ranging from Caitlyn Jenner’s romp through mainstream media to the 2016 presidential race. They even discuss the sanctity of reddit–seriously.

From smart to subjective, shocking to stupid, there is no limit to the debate.  And that’s just scratching the surface of what Junior Statesmen of America (JSA) is.

JSA is essentially a debate club, but with a slight difference, according to senior Shruti Baxi. 

“In debate club other people tell you what to talk about,” Baxi said. “In JSA you talk about what you want to talk about.” 

Baxi has been a member of JSA since her freshman year and is currently the Midwest Governor for the program, holding the highest power in the Midwest and significant power in the JSA world as a whole.  Her duties include event planning for conventions and fund raising.

Chapter vice president Kasia Przybyl enjoys the atmosphere at the conventions.

“You’re very much yourself when you go to conventions” Przybyl said.  

While formal debates do occur at conventions, there is always room for oddity and excitement. Debate rap battles and stutter debates–where teams of two debate by saying one word at a time–occur as well.

Some join JSA to meet new people, others join for the absurdity of the debates, but for chapter president Brian Lapham, it’s about so much more.

“Organizations like JSA are vital to the youth,” Lapham said.

Lapham has been a member of JSA since his freshman year. His lifelong interest in politics and public speaking is what drove him to join the club.  

“In America, too many people don’t care [about politics],” Lapham said. 

However, through JSA, Lapham has been able to reach out and spread political awareness, or in his words, “be his own watchdog.”