NNHS hosts special olympic basketball showdown

On Thursday, Dec. 4, Naperville North hosted a Special Olympic basketball game, pinning the District 203 Tigers, a team comprised of students from both NNHS and Naperville Central High School (NCHS), against the Neuqua Valley High School (NVHS) Wildcats of District 204.

After 32 minutes of exciting play, the Wildcats gained a 48-21 victory over District 203. Despite the loss,  the Tigers’ head coach Mitch Nugent was proud of his athletes’ tireless efforts.

“I think the effort from all the athletes was excellent, from both sides of the team,” Nugent said. “Whenever we are out there having fun and trying our best, that’s all you can ask for.”

Both teams fought hard on the court. Heavy defense forced turnovers from both teams, but the Wildcats were able to capitalize and gain an edge over the Tigers. By halftime, the score was 32-8, and District 203 battled until the end, trying to close the gap that formed early on.

Throughout the game, both teams showcased skills that continually impressed the audience. NNHS junior Louis Pisani’s layups found the net on a number of occasions, and NNHS sophomore Anne Hamilton’s passing game helped to set up many offensive opportunities. Overall, the team moved very well as a unit, setting picks as well as shots and driving towards the net.

Pisani was happy with the turnout on Thursday and appreciated his peers’ support. Despite the loss, he felt his team played well together.

Many fans from NNHS and NCHS bound together to cheer on their classmates, as did many students from District 204. Nugent was happy with the support showed by both the Dawg Pound and the Redhawk Rowdies, as well as the opposing fans.

“I think we had really strong support from both schools,” Nugent said. “It’s great to see North and Central students come out and support the team together. We always appreciate it when we get support from both schools.”