Boys cross country wins DVC title

SeniorsXC
Seniors celebrate their last DVC meet.

On Oct. 17, the boys cross country team placed first in both the varsity and open races at the DuPage Valley Conference (DVC) meet.

The boys won the varsity race with a score of 35 points, dominating by an 11-point margin. NNHS swept the first three spots in the boys’ open race to secure a 20-point lead over Naperville Central, the second-placing team. Meanwhile, the freshmen and sophomore boys narrowly lost their first place finish to NCHS by two points.

Head coach David Racey knew that his team had the depth and talent to be successful at yesterday’s meet.

“I always tell them that if they decide they want to run well, they will,” Racey said. “And as a collective group, the team decided to perform well, and they did. I’m very proud of all the guys.”

Senior captain Jonathan Klaiber crossed the finish line with a time of 14:48.5 to win the varsity race. Senior captain Kerry Gschwendtner took fourth overall with a time of 14:59.0. Seniors Christian Moore and Andrew Ladeur followed each other closely to place sixth and seventh, respectively. And sophomore Emerson King placed 17th overall with a time of 15:39.0, competing as the only underclassman on the varsity squad.

After years a hard work and dedication, Klaiber felt especially happy with his race.

“I was able to stay controlled throughout the race and stay at the front at the end,” Klaiber said. “Freshmen year, I think I was only the fourth fastest freshman. Now, I’m in the top two on varsity. Four years of working hard to be here as a senior has definitely paid off.”

In the open race, NNHS took six spots within the top ten. Senior Jake Eifler took first (15:56.7), senior Patrick McGrail placed second (15:58.1), and senior Noah Tang came in third (16:01.0).

Over the next three weeks, Racey looks to improve consistency during races. If the boys can regularly compete to their full potential, he said they would enter the regional and state meets with their best chances. The team aspires to place within the top three at state and bring home a trophy.

“It’s up in the air,” Racey said. “The margins are so small that we could be near the top or be in the middle of the pack at state. The little things make a big difference. Hopefully, with three weeks until state, we will do things the right way, and things will end up well for us.”

McGrail said that team camaraderie would push them forward in the coming weeks.

“We have had the talent, but what makes it more special is how we come together as team,” McGrail said. “We work for each other instead of working as individuals. Every race is just building on each other to culminate into this final race.”