Time Out with John Sagen

By Staff Writer John Conway
Production by Emily Hillier & Maxx Ludeke

This week, “The North Star” met with senior John Sagen, the varsity captain of the boys baseball team. Although weather conditions have made the baseball field unavailable, the team has been making strides during their pre-season training.

Q: What’s the best thing about your sport?

A: I’d have to say that the best thing about our sport is that it’s really demanding, physically and mentally. I know that a lot people don’t think baseball is a super-hard physical sport, but we’re really putting in a lot of hard work this year, and we’re expecting big things.

Q: What’s the worst thing about your sport?

A: I’d say by far the weather. As you can tell, there is still a lot of snow on the ground, and we need to wait for that all to clear up. It needs to be warm. We try to do as much as we can inside- we have the wrestling balcony, and we have the fieldhouse as well. We even use the bus lot. [We’re] just trying to make the most of our indoor practices. Everyone is itching to get outside, and we’re excited for the season.

Q: What important contributions do you make to the team?

A: I feel that I bring my work ethic and leadership to the team. I just try to work my hardest in everything and hope others do the same thing.

Q: How have you evolved as an athlete over the years?

A: I came in as a little, scrawny freshman. With the help of my coaches and parents and family and friends, we really pushed each other hard in the weight-room and training also. I feel like my game has really evolved this year. I’m expecting big things, and I’m very excited.

Q: What are your plans for your sport after high school?

A: I want to pursue a baseball career in college, along with a business degree. I’m thinking about Illinois Wesleyan and Augustana. They are both good academic schools, and they both have top-notch baseball teams.

Q: What coaches/mentors have guided you throughout the years?

A: Starting out with Coach Platt, who I had in freshman year, he taught me what Huskie baseball is all about. Now I learn so much from Coach Hunckler and Coach Drendel on the varsity level. They expect a lot out of you, and they really want to see you get better.