Time Out with Wesley Wong

Junior Wesley Wong kicks around some questions with The North Star

By Contributor Michael Ding

Michael Ding sat down with Junior Wesley Wong, starting center defender for the NNHS varsity soccer team, to ask him a few questions about soccer, leadership, and being a part of the team.

Wesley Wong has been a key factor for NNHS’ success on the field, helping them achieve this seasons record of 6-1-1. He plays as the center defender, and his job is to stop everything that comes toward his side. Wong is a lock-down defender.

As a freshman, Wong played on the NNHS junior varsity team. Sophomore year, Wong decided to skip school soccer and focus on club soccer instead. The versatile 6’0 defender proved to be a beneficial asset for the Chicago Magic Club team, leading them to a winning record of 18-1-4. His ability to lead his teammates, anticipate passes, win balls in the air, and be an aggressive defender helped the Chicago Magic Club team appear in the Premiership Final Championship. The Chicago Magic Club has traveled across the country playing other elite soccer teams. This helped Wong gain exposure to the best competition.

This year Wong has worked on being an even better leader, using positive criticism to motivate his teammates. Wong shows passion for the game; he never takes a play off and hates losing. Wong is excited to see how this season takes off, and he plans to continue to work hard on and off the field.

Q: What is the best thing about your sport?
A: It’s definitely the competiveness on and off the field. How everyone works together to achieve what we get and what we deserve at the end of the game or at the end of the season
Q: What is the worst thing about your sport?
A: When our whole team plays well as a team, and we work hard then we don’t get the desired result at the end.
Q: How far do you want to go with your sport?
A: I want to take it to college, have fun in college, play well there, and hopefully get a scholarship. Major in what I want and just go that path and be successful.
Q: What’s the most important contribution you make to your sport?
A: As a defender, I have to stop everything that comes in from the other team. Once we get the ball or the defensive line gets the ball, we play to our midfield or distribute to our forwards so they can make something off of it.
Q: How have you evolved as an athlete over the years?
A: Overall, I believe that I became a better leader. I better use positive criticism, and I have better positive criticism [to give].
Q: What coaches or mentors have inspired you over the years?
A: It has definitely been my dad throughout the years. Without him, I wouldn’t be as good as I am at this sport. He has literally taken me this far and how far I need to be as an athlete. He won’t stop teaching me new things about soccer. He has definitely been the biggest coach and mentor to me.