Resident Car Chick: Trick out my ride

By Blogger Mary Kate Williams

When it comes to cars, teenagers are very particular. In many ways, a car is like a fingerprint. It is something that should represent you and make you proud. I, for one, believe this to be true. After interviewing some fellow NNHS students, I found out what it means to drive your first car.

Resident Car Chick Mary Kate Williams shows off her ride

Senior Kevin Findlay drives a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am that is covered inside and out. Findlay will be the first to admit that his car is quite messy. He attributes this mess to his busy life.

“[A busy life means] having a lot of things to take with me everywhere I go,” Findlay said.

Tons of water bottles and CD’s pack the inside of his car. Tenor drumsticks also peek through the clutter, and representative bumper stickers decorate the windows. A Chicago White Sox sticker sticks to the top of his back windshield; one can easily discern that Findlay’s family is a big fan. Three activities stickers also adorn the rear windshield.

Findlay is a part of the drum line, and his brother is involved in two other activities as well. He has a drum line sticker as well as stickers to support his little brother to show how much he cares for his family. There is also a commemorative Blackhawks magnet on the fender of his car to celebrate their 2013 win. To be in the family, you must be a Blackhawks fan.

Finally, a tiny little sticker remains a memory from when his father owned the car: a lake effect surf shop sticker. This is the shop his grandfather owned up in Michigan. A Batman key ring, a Vic Firth lanyard, and earplugs hang on Findlay’s key ring. They represent his love for music and his fun little quirks.

On the other hand, not all teens think a chuck-full car best represents them. Mine sure does, but senior Becky Levin drives a 2000 Ford Taurus that is spotless inside and out.

“I don’t like anything in my car,” Levin said.

Levin cherishes cleanliness. While she allows her passengers to eat and drink, they must always remember to throw out any trash. Levin also stores a handy vacuum in the trunk. The exception to the Taurus’ near factory settings is a Chicago Bears license plate holder.

“[I am a] born and raised bears fan,” Levin said.

Her Bears lanyard further proves her dedication, despite my suspicions. Levin says it does not bother her that her car does not represent her activities.

“[I’m] happy its plain,” Levin said.

Personally, I consider my car a happy medium between Levin and Findlay’s. I have decorated my car inside and out, without the mess. I have five stickers, two magnets, and a Texas license plate holder. My stickers and magnets represent my range in activities (such as color guard, ballet, and my brother’s lacrosse), likes, and things I support or survived. Inside my car, I have a Batman steering wheel cover and many air fresheners. My favorite is my “Regular Show” air freshener.

I strongly believe that a car is an open canvas – especially when you are young. It is important to express yourself through every aspect of your life. Some may disagree, as I found through my interviews. In the end, it is your car and your life. Be happy, live your life, and drive on.