Time Out with DeSean Brown

Huskie football captain tells The North Star about life under the Friday night lights

https://vimeo.com/74462779

By Staff Writer Jennifer Fortman

Production by Photographer Juan Jara, Photo Coordinator Mila Koleva, and Multimedia Managing Editor Ian McCafferty

Jennifer Fortman sat down with senior DeSean Brown, NNHS varsity football captain, to ask him a few questions about football, leadership, and being a part of the team.

Q: What is the best thing about your sport?

A: I think the best thing would probably be the competitiveness as well as the sportsmanship that’s incorporated into the sport. When we’re on the field we are very intense, everybody’s hitting and you don’t really care about your body, but as soon as the game ends we’re all friends again and we shake hands and the game’s over, so that’s probably the best part about it.

Q: What is the worst thing about your sport?

A: I don’t really [think] there is a worst thing but if I had to choose, I would definitely say the injuries. You never want to see anyone get hurt on the football field. It’s a very competitive sport and people get hurt all the time. It’s aggressive, and a contact sport, but you never want to see anyone get hurt.

Q: How far do you want to go with your sport?

A: I definitely plan on playing in college. Whatever happens after that will happen. I take it one step at a time. I’ll wait and see how it goes after four years of college. I’m not really sure where I’m going to go, but after the season ends we will figure that out.

Q: What’s the most important contribution you make to your sport?

A: Right now I think it’s just leadership and experience. After being a three year starter on the team, a lot of the younger guys look up to you so you make sure they are doing the right thing. During practice I make sure that everything I do is the right thing and that I’m not slacking, so experience is the best thing. Especially when we get into a game like where we are down by a touch down and there are two minutes left and you need someone to lead you through those two minutes because they’ve been there before.

Q: How have you evolved as an athlete over the years?

A: As an athlete I think I have evolved as more of a leader because I’m not a very Ra-Ra guy. By that I mean that I’m not going to yell at you and scream at you when you do something wrong. I’m not really like the hype man. I’m more of a lead by example type of person, but as I’ve grown, and now that I’m a senior, I have to become more vocal just because now the team responds better to a vocal leader rather than someone that just does the right thing all the time.

Q: What coaches or mentors have inspired you over the years?

A: “I would say my position coach, which is my running back coach. He has definitely mentored me the right way. Even though a coach might tell you to do a specific thing, he’ll pull me aside and say if you see this, do it. Who cares if you get yelled at on the sidelines? Just play the game instinctually. I’d also say that my Grandpa is a great influence for me moving forward in my sport because he’s seen it all. He has seen my dad play and my uncle play and everyone in my family go through sports, so he has seen pretty much anything that is bound to happen. He tries to give me advice after games no matter if I play good or bad.