How to ask a teacher for a rec letter…this is important

By Brett Samuels

As October draws to a close, many seniors at Naperville North are looking to finish the college application process. Transcript requests, resumes, filling out applications, and writing essays are all major parts of applying to any university. However an extra piece that many selective colleges and universities look for is the all-important letter of recommendation from a teacher.

For some students, it can be awkward to ask a teacher whom they haven’t known for a long time to write to a college bragging about them. However it is a necessary step toward getting into some colleges, so with that in mind here are some tips on how to request a letter of recommendation.

• Don’t be nervous, teachers get asked for letters all the time and are happy to help.
  • Try to ask teachers who you have had as recently as possible because they will remember you and your positive traits better than teachers from freshman year.
  • If you have a coach or teacher who has known you for several years, he/she might be the best person to ask.
  • If you have a specific subject you want to pursue in college, ask a teacher who teaches that subject.
  • Have a resume prepared to give to a teacher so he or she can write about specific activities and interests you have. You can create one on Naviance
  • Give them at least a few weeks to write the letter. If you need it done for December 1, ask at the beginning of November (or earlier!) so they can write a quality letter.
  • When your teacher finishes, she/he won’t expect a gift, but gift cards are a nice touch to show your appreciation for the time and effort it requires to write a rec letter. Hand-write them a thank you card at the very least.

There are other things to consider. If you are using the common application, ask the teacher is she/he would like to submit the letter online so you can can email the link. Some might prefer to mail it directly to the university; if that the case, provide the teacher with an addressed stamped envelope to mail directly to the university.