LeBron trying to play 4 quarters somewhere else?

By Hamza Ahsan

About three years ago, State Farm aired a commercial featuring LeBron James as the centerpiece. The commercial was a dream that asked the question: What if LeBron James had played football instead of basketball? As the commercial went on, it showed LeBron James winning the Super Bowl and excelling.

Flashing back to the present day, just last week LeBron James was spotted working out with full pads at his former high school, St. Vincent-St. Mary in Akron, Oh. James was doing everything a typical wide receiver would do during team scrimmages– catching balls, blocking cornerbacks. James was even able to excel among the high school players that he played.

That’s pretty good for an athlete that hasn’t put on pads in almost 10 years. James also furthered this theory of himself playing in the NFL by recently tweeting to ESPN NFL analyst John Clayton.

James tweeted to Clayton, “@ClaytonESPN When is the deadline for a team to sign a free agent?”

With an NBA lockout already clearing up two weeks of the NBA season, why shouldn’t James consider joining an NFL team? I mean injuries are one thing, but if James wants to leave the same legacy that Deion Sanders did for his two sports, then he should immediately start practicing for this season.

There are a handful of teams that would be willing to pay for LeBron James’ talents. Maybe he’ll head up and make amends with Cleveland by joining the Browns, or even go back down to South Beach to help the injury-plagued Miami Dolphins. Growing up as a Cowboys fan, Jerry Jones would love to see James’ athletic 6-9 250 pound frame lining up at tight end with Jason Witten or even wide receiver.

Many people don’t know, but James was a first team all-state wide receiver in high school and Green Bay Packers Hall of Famer Mark Murphy once thought that James was good enough to leave to the NFL, straight out of high school.

While it may be just an after-thought to envision James playing another sport besides basketball, in this long NBA lockout, there still could be fans like me hoping to see one of the world’s most talented athletes put on some pads and catch a few touchdowns. At least let us dream while we wait anxiously for another NBA season.