The Do’s and Don’ts of Tumblr

By Nicole Kottmann

Tumblr.com is a part blogging, part social networking site, which has become very popular among NNHS students as of recent. While the site provides a great outlet to vent about the tortures of teenage life while sharing your love for pop culture icons such as Harry Potter, it should also be noted that the site is public and you should be mindful of what you post.

Do’s:

• Post artistic pictures of city landscapes, bun hairstyle variations and unidentified hipsters in cool outfits, which would make you a social outcast if posted on facebook
  • Share random tidbits about your life. Example: “Finally got my first college acceptance letter. Maybe now my Dad will get off my case about it.”
  • Keep up to date on your friends’ lives, especially those out of state.
  • Laugh at some “GIFs”, like the one with the little kid and his legitimate transformer costume
  • Go on once a day or every few days and see what’s happening in the world of tumblr

DON’T:

• Post pictures of yourself and title them “No make-up!”
  • Share so much about your life that people become uncomfortable. Example: “When my boyfriend dumped me today, I was so pissed, I just had to key his car and send an anonymous letter telling his parents that he lied when he told them that he was a virgin.”
  •  “Follow” people from your school if you don’t want them seeing what you post
  • Use GIFs from other people’s pages to try and be impressive and show that you have the ability to hit re-blog
  • Post something every five minutes