Time Out with Eric Swan

By Staff Writer Jennifer Fortman
Production by Kevin MacGregor

With tryouts underway, the boys varsity tennis team is gearing up for a winning season. The first match is scheduled for Wednesday, April 9, and senior co-captain Eric Swan couldn’t be more excited. This week, he sat down with staff writer Jennifer Fortman to discuss his experiences on the team.

Q: What’s the best thing about your sport?

A: I would have to say that the best thing about tennis is that there are so many different components that you need to perform in order to win a game. It’s kind of like football where you have your quarterback, your running back, your wide receiver, and they all need to play well if you want to beat the team you’re playing. But in tennis, you have to perform all those well yourself if you want to succeed. I think that is a big thing we take pride in when we play tennis.

Q: What’s the worst thing about your sport?

A: I think an easy answer is the weather. Last season, we were riddled with snow days and rain days and wind days- you name it. I mean like today; it’s a nice day, but it’s pretty windy. Tennis is a very sensitive sport when it comes to weather so I’d have to say that’s the worst.

Q: What’s the biggest contribution you make to your team?

A: Well, tennis is really special because it’s an individual sport. As a team, we all contribute equally. We all have to win our spots, and we all have to win individually in order to succeed as a team. There are eight spots on the team so I probably contribute one eighth of the team’s success.

Q: How far do you want to go with your sport?

A: I feel like tennis has almost become a part of me. I can’t ever imagine myself not playing tennis, especially because tennis is a life-long sport. I see men playing, and they are like 80. So will I ever not play tennis? Probably not. In college, I don’t know because I’m applying to a lot of division one schools. I’m not sure I have the talent to play there, but I’d love to give it a shot.

Q: How have you evolved as an athlete over the years?

A: Obviously, I’m physically stronger. I also think that I’m mentally stronger. For tennis especially, the amount of pressure it brings to the table is ridiculous and unlike most sports. You’re out there all alone, and it’s all you. I think mentally that has brought me up.

Q: What coaches or mentors have inspired you over the years?

A: Obviously, the coaches here at Naperville North are fantastic. Other than that, I’ve had a variety of different coaches during offseason, and I don’t think I can name one that’s specific. But they are all fantastic and are doing that job for a reason.