Time Out with Jon Klaiber

By Staff Writer Jennifer Fortman

Production by Emily Hillier

Jon Klaiber is an up-and-coming junior on the boys track and cross country team. He has had two second place finishes in his last two indoor track meets, took second in the boys 1600 meter race at the Wheaton North boys quad, and took second in the boys 3200 at the Plainfield South Boys Invitational. “The North Star” caught up with the runner to talk about track, his future in the sport, and more.

Q: What is the best thing about your sport?

A: The best thing about my sport is definitely the team aspect of it. Being around these guys everyday and working hard with them is really rewarding.

Q: What’s the worst thing about your sport?

A: Definitely the pressure we put on ourselves for the meet and to perform our best every single day. It gets rough, but eventually it’s worth it.

Q: How far do you want to go with your sport?

A: I would like to compete at the collegiate level and hopefully make running a part of my life beyond that even when I’m done competing.

Q: How have you evolved as an athlete over the years?

A: I think that with running I’ve learned a lot about myself and really seen what hard work can do and how it has made me a better runner and athlete.

Q: What’s the most important contribution you make to your team?

A: I think the most important contribution that I make is my work ethic and how I try and lead by example. I try to go into practice everyday and just work hard and hopefully some of the younger guys will see that.

Q: Are there any coaches/mentors that have inspired you over the years?

A: Coach Racey has had a really big impact on me, and he has really helped me take my running to the next level, along with all the seniors. There are also other coaches that I have dealt with over the years, and they have all been great.