Will Herren have a lasting impact?

♦ Staff Editorial ♦

He began humbly and spoke candidly.

unnamed
Illustration by Contributor Jess Arnold

Chris Herren addressed Naperville North High School’s field house of 3,000 plus students with the stated mission of reaching just one of them.

And as he pursued this goal, his story managed to touch many more.

With his 70 minute speech, Herren fostered real discussions about personal identity and struggle.

Going beyond his own story of addiction and recovery, Herren told his audience how to avoid traveling down his tragic path, how to heal and cope.

He managed to address a subject that we often prefer to avoid. For this reason, what he had to say was impactful.

Despite the cost and time, “The North Star” staff believes that Chris Herren’s speech was worthwhile.

In a previous editorial, we criticized District 203’s decision not to implement mandatory drug testing, which we felt would have been a proactive step against student drug use. Though most students are aware of the district’s anti-drug stance, Herren’s story served as a concrete reminder of this ideal. By bringing in Herren, NNHS openly demonstrated its commitment to address the dangers of drug use in a real and relatable way.

And Wednesday in the field house, nearly everyone was engaged. No one whispered to their neighbors alongside them. They didn’t laugh and, in the first instance we can recall, the room was not illuminated by cell phone screens.

NNHS listened.

Silence is a rare thing. Silence is an especially rare thing in a crowded gymnasium of 3,000 high school students. Our silence demonstrated that we wanted and needed to hear his message.

Herren proved to be both engaging and informative. We believe our peers heard his message because he was different than the speakers we’ve become accustomed to. He did not mask the reality of substance abuse; instead, he told his story with startling honesty. More importantly, his story inspired troubled students to recognize and address their own struggles.

All too often, a wall goes up between staff and students when we talk about drugs at NNHS. Yet, Herren’s speech changed this perspective and encouraged a partnership. At least for a bit, he has united us in the fight against drug abuse and other forms of self harm.

To us, it is clear that our school was fortunate to listen to Herren speak. However, he won’t be here to guide and inspire us during the upcoming months and years. We will need to decide what to do with this opportunity.

In order to make Herren’s assembly worthwhile, the dialogue that he opened needs to be continued by students and administrators.

This demands several things of people in the building. Student Services, teachers, and other adults must continue reaching out to students, assuring us that reporting such issues will result in help, not punishment. Students need to use the resources NNHS provides to seek appropriate assistance when they need it. In our opinion, this conversation needs to be frequently discussed, and opportunities for students to talk should become a common part of NNHS’ culture.

By sharing his story, Herren did not provide a solution to student drug abuse. But what he did provide was an opportunity for us to begin and continue an important discussion. He showed that only candid discussions give rise to lasting solutions.

4
View Comments (4)