Time out with Albert Yao

By Staff Writer  John Conway
Production by Juan Jara

https://vimeo.com/81255032

Q: What is the best thing about your sport?

A:  The best thing would probably have to be the team bonding because we’re all like a giant family. Everyone is so close to each other, and practices can be really fun sometimes because we can all have a great laugh and tell each other stories.

Q: What is the worst thing about your sport?
A: The practice schedule – because we wake up so early everyday and get out so late, there is very little time for our friends and other social activities. So we are always sticking together, and we always have stick-to-each-other movie nights and everything.
Q:  How far are you looking to take your sport?
A: I hope to be able to swim in college.  That would be my goal. Division 3 is my main goal because Division 1 would be a really big reach for me. I hope when I am older that I will be able to swim to stay in shape.
Q: What is the most important contribution you have made to your team?
A: I definitely think that being team captain is helpful to the team because it’s fun organizing events and team bonding things, and we all get really close. It’s fun passing down lessons to the freshman and underclassmen.
Q: How have you evolved as an athlete over the years?
A: When I first started swimming, I was really bad. It was really hard for me to swim, keep up with practices, and make all the sets. Over the years, just going to practices has taught me a lot. Especially since joining the high school [team], I have really improved a lot in my time. It’s been a really rewarding experience.
Q: What coaches/mentors have inspired you over the years?
A: I think that Coach McQuarter has been really helpful. He joined in my sophomore year, and he has done a really great job in improving his practices every year. Also, my parents have been really helpful because they help motivate me through every practice and every meet, and they provide what I need for each practice.