Time Out with Anthony Rehayem

By Sports Editor Jay Ahuja

This week “The North Star” sat down with senior basketball captain Anthony Rehayem. Rehayem has been a starter on the varsity basketball team for three years and is determined to lead his team to a conference championship, just like he did his sophomore year.

Q: What’s the best thing about your sport?

A: I think the best thing about my sport is that it’s fast moving and intense. I also like how you can score in so many different ways and how multi-dimensional the game is.

Q: What’s the worst thing about your sport?

A: The worst thing is that you can lose a lead in seconds. You work your tail off to get the lead, but just as quickly, you can be down without much hope to win the game.

Q: How far do you want to go with your sport?

A: My goal is to play college basketball. The recruiting process has been going great so far, and hopefully this season will bring more coaches.

Q: What’s the most important contribution you make to your team?

A: I think the most important thing I contribute is leadership and experience. I have been playing the game for a long time and have played under coach Powers for three years. I help motivate the younger kids and lead them in a positive way.

Q: How have you evolved as an athlete over the years?

A: Over the years, I have really tried to work on different parts of my game. I also have been lifting to get stronger for this season. The main thing I chose to focus on this off-season was making my left hand more productive.

Q: What coaches and/or mentors have inspired you over the years?

A: I have been with many coaches over the years but my trainer from 5th grade, Matt Miller, has really given me an edge in my game. Also, coach Powers has taught me a lot about the game and how to read defenses. He has also taught me a lot about being a good person off the court.