Time out with Kristi Pfeiffer

When Pfeiffer brings her spirit to cheer, the whole team follows suit

By Sports Editor Jay Ahuja

“The North Star” sat down with senior Kristi Pfeiffer, the captain of the cheer team, to discuss her impact on the team, future goals, and more.

Q: What’s the best thing about your sport?

A: The best part is getting to go to state and different places for competitions. It’s such an amazing feeling winning and accomplishing goals as a team. It’s much better than when [wins] are individual because it shows a good work ethic in everyone instead of just one person.

Q: What’s the worst thing about your sport?

A: The worst part is the injuries. I’ve had a lot of injuries due to cheerleading. Sophomore year I broke my jaw and my teeth got knocked out. My teeth went through my lip and I ended up having to get plastic surgery. It took a full year to recover from everything. Not only was [the injury] painful and embarrassing but it also has impacted me into becoming more aware.

Q: How far do you want to go with your sport?

A: I want to cheer in college. Hopefully I can cheer at one of the big ten schools I’m applying to this year. But this year, my goal for us as a team is to make it to day two at state. We have made it [to state] two years in a row but never to day two. This would be the perfect way to end my last season of high school cheer.

Q: What’s the most important contribution you make to your team?

A: The biggest contribution I believe that I bring to the team is the energy. I’m always known to get the team going and boost the confidence. I understand when to make light of situations, but also when to focus. I try and be the best leader that I can be but also prevent myself from being bossy or losing the close relationships with my teammates.

Q: How have you evolved as an athlete over the years?

A: Over the years I would say that I have started to be more understanding. I understand that not everything is going to go my way, but I know that I need to do what is best for the team regardless of my own personal opinion.

Q: What coaches and/or mentors have inspired you over the years?

A: One of my most inspirational coaches would most likely be the one I have now. Her name is Keri Storako and she became head coach for varsity my sophomore year. When I was a freshmen we were horrible and all had bad attitudes, but when she came she turned everything around and taught us that with the right mindset anything is possible – even state.