Obscurities: The arts behind the crafts

Kireemby Kireem Nam

Am I the only one who was pretty fascinated with the squeaking baby freshman year?

…Um. Let me explain.

You’ve probably all walked down that crowded hallway coming out of lunch, the one connecting with the U-hall, and seen the huge mural that runs down the length of wall across from the library. You know, the one with the pictures representing various cultures and all?

So, somewhere in the middle of that wall, there’s something that looks like a Native American woman and her child. And seriously – if you press on the wall where the baby is, it squeaks. And it may not sound like much right now…but hey. I was sort of interested.

(I was a freshman. Don’t blame me.)

Anyway, you may not have realized it, but a lot of the murals around the school are student-designed. Some, like the two murals to either side of the library entrance, were projects undertaken by the Art Club. The club itself isn’t limited only to murals, though. It usually runs a face-painting booth at the Homecoming Carnival, and paints a wooden bench every year that ends up on display at the Fox Run Square Shopping Center during the summer. Not bad, right?

Of course, once the murals grow a bit in size, we’ve got to call in some back up. The huge husky in the small cafeteria was actually painted by a well-known muralist, Timm Etters. In his 25 years as an artist, he’s created something like 280 different murals, 58 of them in Naperville.

A little inspiring, isn’t it? At least more so than that squeaking baby.

1
View Comments (1)