Resident Car Chick: Car names that’ll make you chuckle (or hurl)

Light Dump, Dictator and Swinger among list of worst car names

By Mary Kate Williams

1.  Subaru BRAT

BRAT is an acronym for B-drive-Recreational-All-terrain-Transport. It was created in 1977 and the name was clearly not though out.  No one wants to be called a brat let alone drive one. Needless to say, sales only lasted ‘til early 1990s.

2.  Dodge Dart Swinger

This is not one of Dodge’s finest moments here.  A swinger by definition is someone – usually a couple – who has multiple under the covers body huggers even though they are married. This is a pretty risqué name for a not-so-great car. Stay classy Dodge.

3.  Renault Le car

Le car, the car. Need I say more?

4.  Ford Probe

The car was made to be a cheaper version of the mustang – a pony you might say, after the 1979 energy crisis. I don’t know if sales didn’t soar because of the poorly made car or the poor name choice… you take a guess.

5.  Chevrolet Citation

The car may have won Car of the Year in 1980 from Motor Trend Magazine, but its name did not. The Citation was so ugly it deserved a citation for awful styling.

6.  Studebaker Dictator

Studebaker created a beautiful car with a terrible name during its time. It came out during the 1920’s and sales soared. Though, as war times grew, so did the popularity of the name Dictator. Hitler, Mussolini, and Stalin went and gave “Dictator” a bad rep, forcing Studebaker to change its name to Director. Smart.

7.  Isuzu Mysterious Utility Wizard

The Japanese have been famous for leading in technology and strange food.  However, on this occasion, they are infamous for Google translate typos. Why be satisfied with a Sport Utility Vehicle when you could have all that and superpowers?

8.  Nissan Homy Super Long

What else is super long and “homy”?  Just think about it, Japan.

9.  Mazda Scrum Wagon 

We all know the kid who drives that POS (piece of you know what) to and from school every day.  Most of you would know it’s me. 9 times out of 10 they know their car is a POS, but to have your car actually clearly labeled as such….too far, too far.

10.  Isuzu Giga Light Dump

Just picture it.  I see a glow-in-the-dark fish taking a dump.  It may be a garbage truck, but it deserves a little more dignity than that.