MLB Playoffs should be interesting

Record Setting Dress Rehearsal Sets the Stage for October Magic

By Justin Hauter

For the many faithful fans of the Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox, the end of the 2011-2012 Major League Baseball (MLB) season offered tremendous relief from the raging migraine that was Chicago baseball this year.  There were many moments, the firing of Cubs general manager Jim Hendry and the trading of White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, and players, Adam Dunn or Carlos Zambrano, that paint a perfect picture of our teams.  However, I think it might be best to ignore the wreaking of the Cubs and Sox and instead focus on what has the potential to be an interesting set of match-ups for the 2011 MLB Playoffs.

American League

The Detroit Tigers

Record: (95-67)

Overview: The Detroit Tigers are most likely the weakest team from the American League, but hope that they will be able to upset the New York Yankees in their first round series against the Bronx Bombers.

Tigers will win if: Tiger’s ace Justin Verlander went (24-5) is the main reason why the Tigers have made it this far, but Detroit will need contributions from Max Scherzer and Doug Fister if they hope to topple the Yanks.

Tigers will lose if: According to the Detroit Free Press, the Tigers were batting .264 before the All-Star game, and only picked up their play in the second half of the season.  If they are unable to keep up with a far superior Yankees lineup, then there season will end in a hurry.

Key Players: Verlander, Miguel Cabrera, Victor Martinez, Jose Valverde

The New York Yankees

Record: (97-65)

Overview: The Yankees, who compete alongside the Tampa Bay Rays and Boston Red Sox in the hardest division in baseball, finished the season with the best record in the American League, and are looking to blow through the Detroit Tigers in their first round match-up.

Yankees will win if: If the Yankees omnipotent offense continues to post big games and does what they are supposed to do, they should have no trouble with Detroit.

Yankees will lose if: The Tigers made it into the playoffs for a reason and if the Yankees are not able to beat Verlander in the series opener, then they will find themselves in trouble.

Key Players: Sabathia, Robinson Cano, Curtis Granderson, Derek Jeter

The Texas Rangers

Record: (96-66)

Overview: Although the Rangers lost their best player, Cliff Lee, in the offseason they are returning to the playoffs with a strong team looking to pick up where they left off.

Rangers will win if: The Rangers have a good offense and two top line starters in C.J. Wilson (16-7) and Derek Holland (16-5).  If they preform, they have a chance to end Tampa Bay’s season.

Rangers will lose if: The Rays late season surge worked against Texas, according to Rangers Designate Hitter Michael Young, “No one knew who they were playing, only a couple of teams knew where they would be playing,”.  Now, with only one day of preparation, the Rangers must face the red hot Rays and hope they do not fall into the same trap as the Red Sox did.

Key Players: Wilson, Mike Napoli, Josh Hamilton, Adrian Beltre

The Tampa Bay Rays

Record: (91-71)

Overview: Although the Rays looked to in a rebuilding year after dumping Carl Crawford, Matt Garza, and others, they were able to cap a great season with an improbable playoff berth that went down to the very last inning of the regular season.

Rays will win if: Having just overcome a nine game deficit in less than a month to knock off the Boston Red Sox, the Tampa Bay Rays have the most momentum of any team in the playoffs, and will look to use it to  knock off the Rangers in the first round.

Rays will lose if: At some point the Rays will start to feel the effects of their late season grind, the question is, will Texas be the team to bring the Rays back down to earth?

Key Players: Matt Moore, David Price, Evan Longoria, Ben Zobrist, B.J. Upton

National League

Saint Louis Cardinals (90-72) versus the Philadelphia Phillies (102-60)

Cardinals will win if: Similar to the Rays, the Cardinals are riding into the playoffs on adrenaline after surpassing the Atlanta Braves, after they looked to be dead.  If future  Hall of Fame inductee Albert Pujols, and the Cardinals are able to overcome the loss of slugger Matt Holliday (right hand tendon), then they have an outside shot at the unthinkable.

Key Players: Pujols, Lance Berkman, Chris Carpenter, Kyle Lohse

Phillies will win if: The tired out Cardinals should present little to no challenge to the team with the best record in the MLB.  While the Phillies may not be an overpowering team on offense, their defense will keep them in any game.

Key Players: Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, Ryan Howard

Arizona Diamondbacks (94-68) versus the Milwaukee Brewers (96-66)

Diamondbacks will win if: Arizona is playing the role of the dark horse in the 2011 postseason, preferring to do the taking with their play on the field.  The Diamondbacks will be led by ace Ian Kennedy (21-4) and outfielder Chris Young

Key Players: Kennedy, Young, Justin Upton, J.J. Putz

Brewers will win if: Milwaukee’s dual threat of Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder will cause problems for the Diamondbacks inexperienced team.  The Brewers are also backed by former Royals ace Zack Greinke (16-6) and should be facing an evenly matched Diamondback squad.

Key Players: Fielder, Braun, Greinke, Yovani Gallardo, Corey Hart