Are you ready for some football?

NFL season preview: An eventful off-season should lead to an exciting season.

By Brett Samuels

As summer officially comes to a close and baseball season winds down, sports fan everywhere are rejoicing as football season begins. Despite a labor dispute that lasted the entire summer, the NFL returns Thursday when the defending Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers kickoff the season against the New Orleans Saints. Before they hit the gridiron for the first time, here are five things to watch for as the NFL makes its return.

1. Will the NFC make it three straight Super Bowl winners? The Packers and the Saints won the Super Bowl the last two years respectively, but the favorites seem to be predominately from the AFC. Teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, and Jets all are mentioned regularly as being among the top all around teams. Teams like the Saints, Packers, and Falcons have the best chance to contend for the NFC, but as far as depth, the AFC has the edge.
  2. How long will the Colts be without Peyton Manning? Peyton Manning, the face of the Indianapolis Colts and the NFL alike, had neck surgery during the offseason, and ESPN reported that he was being re-evaluated by doctors. Manning is important not just to the Colts success, but he attracts fans as a likeable player, and, as CBS Sports Points out, his absence could be felt throughout the league if he misses a large amount of time.
  3. How will rookie quarterbacks affect the standings? The Carolina Panthers took Cam Newton number one overall in the draft this April, and they announced he will be the team’s starter week one. He joins Andy Dalton as rookie starting QB’s, but both play on teams that should be non-factors in the standings. Watch for rookie DT Nick Fairley of Detroit and WR Julio Jones of Atlanta to make an impact on their respective teams, both of which are looking to make a playoff push this season.
  4. Which team will be the surprise playoff contender of the year? Last year the young Tampa Bay Buccaneers missed out on the playoffs by one game, and quarterback Josh Freeman will be expected to lead his team into contention once again. Also watch for the Lions who ESPN’s John Clayton calls, “The talk of the offseason.” There are high expectations for the talented Lions who will look to make the playoffs for the first time since 1999.
  5. Can the Eagles live up to the hype? They certainly made headlines this offseason signing top tier cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, trading backup QB Kevin Kolb, and signing Michael Vick to a deal worth $100 million. With his style of play experts doubt Vick’s ability to stay healthy all year, and the NFC East is always one of the most competitive divisions in football. Free agent signings can help, but unless Vick plays all 16 games for Philadelphia, it’s hard to see how they can compete with a more experienced New Orleans or Green Bay.