NNHS band bring nice twist, and laughs, to Valentine’s day with Saxy-Grams

The Naperville North band program had an outside-the-box idea for fundraising this Valentine’s Day. Called the Saxy-Gram, for five dollars students may purchase a saxophone player to personally deliver a card while playing a romantic song to their valentine. “Careless Whisper” was the biggest hit by far, however,  “I Will Always Love You” and “Can’t Help Falling In Love” were also played by the musicians.

Kirk Hickman, Naperville North band director, explained where the money raised would go.

“[The fundraiser] is to get some general money in the band account. A little bit toward Marching Band, a little bit toward Jazz, a little bit toward Pep Band, just things we need to repair and purchase,” Hickman said.

Like many NNHS students, senior Matt Akins enjoyed the clever idea.

“I thought it was a fantastic idea because it was a unique way to raise money, and I thought it was pretty funny,” Said Akins.

With 224 Saxy-Grams ordered, the different idea seemed to go over well with the student body. NNHS sophomore saxophonist Garrett Frees explained why the Saxy-Grams were exciting for him.

“I don’t usually get to play in front of a classroom and I don’t usually get to go play ‘Careless Whisper’ in front of other people,” Frees said.

This new and amusing approach to spreading festivities and raising money made for quite a “saxy” Valentine’s Day at NNHS.