Varsity Dance makes history, becomes first District 203 team to compete in state final

Photo courtesy of NNHS Dance Team

Photo courtesy of NNHS Dance Team

Photo courtesy of NNHS Dance Team

On Jan. 28, Naperville North’s Varsity Dance Team placed 12th at the IHSA Dance State Finals. This year’s team is the first in District 203 history to reach the final round of competition at state.

The team had consistently placed well this season leading up to state, most notably a second place finish at DVC. They qualified for state last year as well, but to many dancers, this season stands out among the rest.

The team’s hard work in rehearsals played a big role in the success of the season. Senior Kally Harris explained the team’s rigorous practices to prepare for the big day.

“We practiced every day, drilling our number and working on technique,” Harris said.

Junior Anna Wallace emphasized how the team fixated on improving throughout the year while keeping their long-term goal in mind.

“It really was all about staying focused and remembering our end goal of improving and doing better at state than in past years. After our second place finish at DVC, we knew we had a really good chance at state this year so that most definitely motivated us to keep growing and getting better for state,” said Wallace.

Besides their strong work ethic, what’s most remarkable is the team’s chemistry.

After some struggles in the beginning of the season, the team was able to come together and bond, ultimately strengthening their performances throughout the year. Wallace especially appreciated the tight-knit feel of the team.

“The support I felt this year on the team was a real game changer,” she said.

Advancing to finals was a dream come true for the dancers and performing at state will be an experience they will always remember.

“Our team made history this year and I really don’t think that will be forgotten,” said Wallace.