Principal Posey more experienced, ready for her “sophomore” campaign at NNHS

With more experience under her belt, NNHS Principal Stephanie Posey is ready to take on her second year at Naperville North.

Posey took over as principal in the 2015-2016 school year, making this her “sophomore year” at North. Previously, she served as principal at Belleville East High School. Her predecessor, Kevin Pobst, retired in 2015.

After acclimating to North, Posey can now focus on the finer details of the school. Her favorite part about North is, by far, the students. The spirited student body has made it easier to adjust quickly and make improvements to the school.

“Students love being Huskies, and that’s half the battle,” said Posey.

Many students also speak highly of her. Meena Bomma, a junior, is fond of the positive attitude Posey has.

“Whenever she walks down a hallway, she always says hello and greets everyone with humbleness and pride,” said Bomma.

Junior Laila Zayed commends Posey for how well she fit into the North community.

“I like how she kept our traditions here at North and does her best to be involved with the students,” she said.

The social and emotional needs of students continue to be priorities for Posey. This is true especially in regards to dealing with the anxiety and stress that come along with attending such a high-achieving school. This climate makes NNHS distinctly different from other schools Posey has worked at previously. She specifically mentioned Naperville’s large size, which means she must be able to reach more students.

Posey worked to make sure these needs were addressed through the creation of the new Learning Commons. She noticed an opportunity to create a more modern space in the school, as well as a place for students to relax and socialize.

Posey also wants to focus on continuing to help students reach their full potential for success. Academic improvement on all ends of the spectrum is paramount; even top students have room for growth in her eyes.

While Posey is all for improving the school, when asked if she wanted to make any drastic changes, she declined.

“If things aren’t broken, I don’t want to fix them,” she said.