Photo by Kelly Tang.
Photo by Kelly Tang.

District 203 to brew a better library

April 12, 2016

In Naperville North Principal Stephanie Posey’s opinion, it’s what’s on the inside that counts.

That’s why, in collaboration with District 203, Posey is finalizing a plan to renovate the core of NNHS: the upper and lower libraries.

“That space is the center of this building. It should always be full of kids,” Posey said. “It should be a place that students want to go and want to hang out in, and that has all of the services students need.”

In February, The North Star published an editorial regarding the open space in the NNHS Upper Library. At that time, Posey said potential changes to the space were in their early stages.

Now, Posey said she has an almost complete plan, including an improved college and career center, quiet study rooms, collaborative space and a coffee bar. If all goes well, construction will begin this summer and be completed by August, according to Posey.

“The district was looking at how to create a more common learning space and get away from the more traditional library space,” Posey said.

Senior Class President Nikita Vijayakumar has mixed feelings about the changes.

“I’m super excited for the underclassmen but also jealous to be leaving at such a prime time,” Vijayakumar said. “My freshman year, the library wasn’t someplace students really went to. Now it is constantly moving in a progressive direction.”

Vijayakumar, who has been involved in the process of planning the renovations through student government, said the renovated library will mirror what a college library might look like.

Posey said that one intention behind the project is to create a more mature space.

“We want to make sure that we are meeting your needs but also that we are giving you what you will see in the post-secondary world,” Posey said.

Not only will the library provide research, study and collaboration resources, but learning opportunities as well. According to Posey, the coffee bar could potentially be a part of the business curriculum at NNHS. Students may be able to work at the coffee bar and experiment with advertising and entrepreneurship.

“It will be an opportunity for courses or clubs that are business related so that students can have the opportunity to get real life experience,” Posey said.

The coffee bar doesn’t only appeal to students as a learning tool. NNHS sophomore Jay Bhatia said he thinks the coffee bar in combination with new study space will change the atmosphere of the library.

A coffee bar and study areas make it seem much more attractive to me, and I will definitely be utilizing both of those things,” Bhatia said.

Posey said she hopes students take advantage of the upcoming changes, and also that students speak up if they have any further input.