LGBTQ college fair coming to Chicago

LGBTQ college fair coming to Chicago

Most teenagers have to deal with the strain of searching for the perfect college, but for teenagers in the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning (LGBTQ) community, finding a college that offers an accepting atmosphere can be a challenge.

To help students who identify as LGBTQ, a program called Campus Pride organizes college fairs across the nation. These college fairs give students the opportunity to meet with representatives from schools that support the LGBTQ community and ask questions specific to their concerns. Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) member Jimmy Coffey suggests why this college fair is important.

“It offers a safe space for LGBT youth, and it provides a place where they can really be themselves while talking to representatives,” Coffey said.

According to National Youth Association America, nine out of every ten LGBT students has experienced some sort of harassment at school. Direct or indirect bullying can turn what should be a safe environment into a place of torment. Campus Pride works to change the standards of LGBT college safety.

Campus Pride was founded in 2001. The group has ten college fairs each year, and one online college visit that includes live chats with various universities, according to their website. Their main goal is to encourage universities to become more open to the LGBT community.  

This organization works with colleges throughout the nation such as Cornell University, Princeton University, Ithaca College and many more. Communications and Programs Manager Rebby Kern expressed what Campus Pride looks for in universities,

“It’s hard to expect a student to come out if the college isn’t themselves,” Kern said.

Kern’s response is also reflective of how high schools can improve. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) suggests that creating safe spaces such as a counselor’s office, designated classrooms and student clubs like GSA can create a more welcoming atmosphere for LGBTQ students.

Not only does the CDC give advice to students and staff members in high schools, but also to parents. This advice is simple: talk and support.

If you are a teenager in the LGBTQ community, there will be Campus Pride College Fair in Chicago Nov. 7 at the John Baran Center from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.