The job hunt: make a plan

I still remember my first interview like it was yesterday. My hands were shaking non-stop, I couldn’t control the sweat on my palms and the forced smile on my face made it feel like my cheekbones were going to pop. I didn’t prepare as well as I should have because, being the bubbly person I am, I thought the interview would come easily to me. It didn’t. 

How do you prevent my scarring experience from happening to you? Make a plan.

Before applying for a job, think of what your priorities are. Everyone has a different priority–whether it be the schedule flexibility, salary, or building skills. Take some time to think of your priorities and look for a job that will satisfy them.

Many students feel that having enough free time is a big concern for them when looking for a job.

One of these students is Naperville North alumni and University of Illinois freshman Gonzalo Gutierrez.

“My top priority when looking for a job was to make sure the job would fit in with my schedule. I wanted to make sure that my job wouldn’t take away time from neither my academics and nor my social life,” Gutierrez said. “For that reason, I chose Cold Stone Creamery, where I would have a flexible and relaxed work schedule.”

For those who consider salary a priority, don’t freak out if the place you are applying to doesn’t advertise their starting salary.The best thing to assume is that your starting salary is the minimum wage for the state of Illinois, which is currently $8.25. If that salary seems very low to you, working at a restaurant may be a good option. Most restaurants have tip jars for the customers to recognize an employee’s work with a handful of spare change or a crumpled dollar.

For other students, developing skills through their work is their biggest priority; it makes a lot of sense in the long run. Going into my first job, this was my priority.

With personal priorities in mind, it’s important to focus on how to get the job. The main thing companies look for when interviewing someone is how they present themselves, according to Smallcakes Cupcakery owner Robert Watson.

“During an interview, I look for someone with an outgoing personality,” Watson said. “We want someone who can go the extra mile for the customers.”

Since my intended college major is social work, the development of my social skills was the deciding factor in working as a sales associate at a local retail store. There, I am able to interact and solve problems with overly energized customers.

Throughout each of my shifts at work, I have a different and sometimes an overwhelming experience. I have recognized that with each customer I work with, I must always be respectful and patient no matter how much it kills me, especially if they are upset. Those two traits are essential when working with a customer because it is my responsibility to make sure they are highly satisfied and have a great experience while shopping.

Above all, it’s crucial to accept that your high school job is not going to be your dream job, and that’s OK.  Not everyone can have a top paying job, flexible work schedule and ideal set of skill-building opportunities. You’re not going to love all of your co-workers, and you’re not going to be passionate about scooping ice cream or folding shirts. But you can make the best of the situation. If you’re anything like me you’ll learn to smile, laugh and pretend to have a good time–even if the whole time you wish you were laying on the couch eating a grilled cheese.

High school jobs are our starting point. So take a deep breath, plan ahead, and put yourself out there. You may be surprised to find just how rewarding the experience can be.